Skip to main content

Reading Notes : Hans Christian Andersen, Part B

ANOTHER FAVORITE. The Little Mermaid is such a classic, and the original slaps. I guess I am old and beaten down now, but this version is my new favorite. The Disney version will always have a special place in my heart and be a part of my childhood, but his original version is so poetic. It is definitely more my style; it leaves an impression when the heroine doesn't get to live happily ever after, which is okay too! The world Hans Christian Andersen weaves is glorious. I could feel the mermaid's pain, urgency, and suffocating need to love and be loved. This is a story that will never get old, part of it due to how beautifully it is written.

One of my favorite parts is when he describes the five older sisters and the things they experienced going to the surface for the first time. The scenes he paints makes me feel like I am experiencing those beautiful landscapes for the first time, too. Often time mermaids are fantasized, and it was interesting seeing it from the other perspective. Mermaids may have long lives, but they disappear to nothing. Whereas humans have short lives on the earth, but have immortal souls that exist in the universe after they die. What a beautiful thought. This whole thing was written so poetically and the themes woven in are very raw and beautiful. Reading this again, the evil witch did not seem that evil. Rather, she seemed like a catalyst for what the little mermaid wanted. Everything she did seemed like fair trade, and the little mermaid was willing to endure it all because she believed the gift of love would outweight all the suffering. Sadly, like most realistic love stories, this ended up not being the case. But her courage and dedication is heartwarming and truly a joy to read about.



Hans Christian Andersen, Fairy Tales and Stories. Translated by H. P. Paull (1872). Web Source.

Comments

  1. Hi Moriah,
    I also did my reading notes on the Little Mermaid. As you said it is a classic we all know, but the original story is so much gorier. It is still beautiful, in a way only Hans Christian Anderson can truly pull off. I am glad you got to reread this story.
    Good luck with finals!
    Best,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Moriah,

    I also read the Little Mermaid, so I was curious to see what someone else thought about it. Like you, I enjoyed how Hans told the stories about the sisters' impressions of the world above. I can totally envision the youngest mermaid being jealous of her older sisters and their experiences above the water. I think my favorite part of the story was the sisters being willing to lose their hair to save the sister.

    Brady

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Welcome to the comment wall for my Storybook project ! Please feel free to leave any and all feedback, suggestions, ideas, likes, dislikes, funny jokes, puns... Camping Hedgehog; source: Azuki  

Introduction to the Mother of Hedgehogs

Hello! First of all, I hope you are having an amazing day so far. If not, please first enjoy this picture of my first hedgehog, Mochi, in a tiny santa hat.  Personal Photo: my first hedgehog's first Christmas! It might be an unusual choice of pet, but it is one that I highly recommend for students. I am a senior, graduating in May with a degree in Chemistry&Biochemistry and a minor in Pre-Health Social Sciences. These past four years have been very time consuming, and I wanted a pet that would accomodate my schedule. Enter: hedgehogs. They are solitary, nocturnal, small, don't require a lot of resources or space, perfect! And once I got my first, I became hooked on other exotic animals as well. I hope to one day have a large assorment of interesting critters and reptiles!  Aside from loving my hogs, I try to spend my extra time travelling all over the world. Both my parents immigrated from Asia, and we frequently travel back to visit my extended family. I hav

Week 3 Story : Pyramus and Thisbe

Pyramus and Thisbe were youths born of the same prestige. Each grew lovelier by the day, each was brilliant in both character and appearance, each was highly sought after by the young men and women of the town. In their mind and in their hearts, they knew they existence was made for one another. And yet their parents would not recognize the fire burning between them, which only made it burn more brightly. In secret, their love grew stronger, one would think this union was created by Aphrodite herself. Their days were filled with longing for the whispers and glances they might steal. Quite quickly, however, these moments could no longer satiate their emotions. In a hurried exchange, the two lovers agreed to meet beneath the tallest mulberry tree before departing to a northern city together. Thisbe, gripped by the courage that only love can inspire, slipped out of her house for the final time, whispering a goodbye to her parents. Veiled, she sat beneath the tree waiting for