Skip to main content

Lab Week 12

This week I watched two TED talks over the stories and storytelling. This included The Dangers of a Single Story by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and Imaginary Friends and Real-World Consequences by OU professor Jennifer Barnes. These videos were very different but I enjoyed them so much!

Adichie opened her talk by revealing more about her Nigerian background and how American and British literature had impacted her book-loving childhood deeply. She only had this single story/image from the books she read, so all the stories she wrote involved blonde hair, blue eyed children eating apples and talking about the weather. When she came to America, she was shocked that people had such skewed beliefs about Nigeria. She said something that really stuck with me: stereotypes aren't necessarily untrue, they just don't tell the whole story. I have been thinking a lot about this lately. A popular group on facebook popped up a few months ago called Subtle Asian Traits, and honestly I think every Asian person I know is part of it! In the group, mostly first generation Asian young people share memes and inside jokes and childhood memories that only other Asian people who shared similar experiences would get. Also a lot of language puns. When I share some of the ones I think are particularly funny with my friends, they don't really understand why I would be laughing about a joke about my own race. I suppose I never saw my race as that simplified, as something that couldn't be laughed at at times when we do some ridiculous things. Like lamenting having to work in family resteraunts before we were of legal age (without pay, I might add). To someone else, this could seem like child abuse or parents taking advantage of their kids. To Asian-Americans, this was how we helped out our hard working parents who immigrated so we wouldn't have to inherit the business. It gave me a lot to think about with my own assumptions about things, and how I process the media and news.

If you know, you know. SAT


Dr. Barnes gave a really fun speech about why we become so attached to fictional characters and what affect they have on our life. I know in this class, many of us are huge GOT fans, so I am sure we've all felt our favorite character get knifed like it went through our own heart. These relationships we form are super important in my opinion! I don't think its necessarily a bad thing to use it as a way to be detached from reality. Sure, it can be detrimental if overused, but for most of us, fiction is a way to heal, decompress, and let the creative parts of our mind soar for a little while. These fantastical fictional series like LOTR, GOT, and Harry Potter feed us creativity that the normal person lacks. It takes a special type of author to create such an encompassing world, but the benefits and joys of it are reaped by many.

*T/N: the image is poking fun at something many Asian parents say. Instead of "turn on the light", the phrase "open the light", while incorrect, is used VERY often. We're not making fun of parents, but rather bonding over this shared experience through finding more things we have in common.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, The Dangers of a Single Story. Web Source.
Jennifer Barnes, Imaginary Friends and Real-World Consequences. Web Source.

Comments

  1. Hey Moriah!
    It’s so cool that you spent the time to watch some videos and dive into the course more and more. The second one you watched sounds especially intriguing! I have always wondered why I care so much about people that aren’t real, and this helped me figure that all out! Thanks for sharing and best of luck with the rest of your semester!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Welcome to the comment wall for my Storybook project ! Please feel free to leave any and all feedback, suggestions, ideas, likes, dislikes, funny jokes, puns... Camping Hedgehog; source: Azuki  

Introduction to the Mother of Hedgehogs

Hello! First of all, I hope you are having an amazing day so far. If not, please first enjoy this picture of my first hedgehog, Mochi, in a tiny santa hat.  Personal Photo: my first hedgehog's first Christmas! It might be an unusual choice of pet, but it is one that I highly recommend for students. I am a senior, graduating in May with a degree in Chemistry&Biochemistry and a minor in Pre-Health Social Sciences. These past four years have been very time consuming, and I wanted a pet that would accomodate my schedule. Enter: hedgehogs. They are solitary, nocturnal, small, don't require a lot of resources or space, perfect! And once I got my first, I became hooked on other exotic animals as well. I hope to one day have a large assorment of interesting critters and reptiles!  Aside from loving my hogs, I try to spend my extra time travelling all over the world. Both my parents immigrated from Asia, and we frequently travel back to visit my extended family. I hav

Week 3 Story : Pyramus and Thisbe

Pyramus and Thisbe were youths born of the same prestige. Each grew lovelier by the day, each was brilliant in both character and appearance, each was highly sought after by the young men and women of the town. In their mind and in their hearts, they knew they existence was made for one another. And yet their parents would not recognize the fire burning between them, which only made it burn more brightly. In secret, their love grew stronger, one would think this union was created by Aphrodite herself. Their days were filled with longing for the whispers and glances they might steal. Quite quickly, however, these moments could no longer satiate their emotions. In a hurried exchange, the two lovers agreed to meet beneath the tallest mulberry tree before departing to a northern city together. Thisbe, gripped by the courage that only love can inspire, slipped out of her house for the final time, whispering a goodbye to her parents. Veiled, she sat beneath the tree waiting for