Skip to main content

Reading Notes : Faerie Queen, Part A

I had such a fun time reading this! The thing that got me hooked was the crossdressing female lead who, with the help of her magic weapon, went around the country knocking all sorts of men on their butts. It was really interesting to me how her motivation was just to find the man she fell in love with thanks to Merlin's magic mirror. It seems a rather foolish endeavor, to leave your title as a princess and a homely castle to find this wandering knight, but also very pure in a way. The main heroine has almost a childlike innocence to her which makes her someone the reader can wholeheartedly root for.

One particular chapter I really liked was when another fair maiden fell in love with Britomart, thinking she was a handsome knight. The whole evening, Britomart has to side step the maiden's advances. Her cover is ultimately blown when the woman descends upon her chambers at night. I was chuckling the whole time at this. It isn't written humorously, but the whole situation was so amusing. The veins of humor are situational, but made it one of my favorite chapters to read for part A. This kind of prose is extremely effective for storytelling. Despite reading it on my laptop, I truly felt like I had my nose buried in a book, eagerly anticipating what Britomart would do next. I would have like a bit more in the real of establishing the setting and characters. Background information is given and then it feels as if the reader is just thrown into the thick of things. Because this type of medieval and fantasy world can become so magical, I wanted a little more in the beginning to help with immersion. This is also just be being a huge fantasy freak and coming off a Game of Thrones high from this past weekend. Anyone else relate?

Britomart painting 



Stories from the Faerie Queen. Edmund Spenser (1590), adapted by Mary Macleod (1916). Web Source.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Welcome to the comment wall for my Storybook project ! Please feel free to leave any and all feedback, suggestions, ideas, likes, dislikes, funny jokes, puns... Camping Hedgehog; source: Azuki  

Introduction to the Mother of Hedgehogs

Hello! First of all, I hope you are having an amazing day so far. If not, please first enjoy this picture of my first hedgehog, Mochi, in a tiny santa hat.  Personal Photo: my first hedgehog's first Christmas! It might be an unusual choice of pet, but it is one that I highly recommend for students. I am a senior, graduating in May with a degree in Chemistry&Biochemistry and a minor in Pre-Health Social Sciences. These past four years have been very time consuming, and I wanted a pet that would accomodate my schedule. Enter: hedgehogs. They are solitary, nocturnal, small, don't require a lot of resources or space, perfect! And once I got my first, I became hooked on other exotic animals as well. I hope to one day have a large assorment of interesting critters and reptiles!  Aside from loving my hogs, I try to spend my extra time travelling all over the world. Both my parents immigrated from Asia, and we frequently travel back to visit my extended family. I hav

Week 3 Story : Pyramus and Thisbe

Pyramus and Thisbe were youths born of the same prestige. Each grew lovelier by the day, each was brilliant in both character and appearance, each was highly sought after by the young men and women of the town. In their mind and in their hearts, they knew they existence was made for one another. And yet their parents would not recognize the fire burning between them, which only made it burn more brightly. In secret, their love grew stronger, one would think this union was created by Aphrodite herself. Their days were filled with longing for the whispers and glances they might steal. Quite quickly, however, these moments could no longer satiate their emotions. In a hurried exchange, the two lovers agreed to meet beneath the tallest mulberry tree before departing to a northern city together. Thisbe, gripped by the courage that only love can inspire, slipped out of her house for the final time, whispering a goodbye to her parents. Veiled, she sat beneath the tree waiting for